***GLAMOR'LUSH', FABU'LUSH', ADVENTUR'LUSH', 'LUSH'OUS STATE OF LIVING! SIMPLY 'LUSH'!***

***Identifying 'lush'ousness everyday, everywhere!***

***

'LUSH'--Luscious--richly satisfying to the senses or the mind.


Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I Am a Tomboy.

I remember the impact, the first time a neighborhood teenage boy said to me, "YOU are a tomboy!"  It was unexpected, but in almost every way, I took it as a compliment. I felt confident in who I was.

I am known for stating, "God gave me boys 'cause I'm not very graceful. Boys are rugged and adventurous."  I do adventure, and I'm rugged. I wouldn't have felt natural if a daughter would have wanted to take ballet. I never took ballet, or even pursued it. I never practiced a graceful walk. I wasn't dainty, or helpless (not that those two go together, or that being ladylike is solely defined by them). And, the list of seemingly not-so-outright ladylike attributes, could go on. But, with all my toughness, or tomboyish-ness, I was every bit a woman.

Last week, I received my copy of "Tomboy Style", and read it cover to cover.  There is so much more to what defines tomboy style.  It's not solely about the style of clothing. They have an "inherent ability to seamlessly blend a rugged sensibility with classic, understated elegance," in every aspect of their lives.

I want to thank the Preppy Princess for introducing me to Tomboy Style.

Happy Tuesday! xo

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful book. I grew up as a tomboy! I was the lanky tall girl that enjoyed being outside climbing trees and getting dirty. I played field hockey with the boys and they complained I was too rough, haha! I would run away if I had to put a dress on (so different from me now) and I kept snails in my school box instead of pencils. But, there was freedom being a tomboy rather than a girlie girl. I could do what I wanted and be who I wanted. And even though, I enjoy being a woman and wearing dresses all the time, I'd happily be outside still getting my hands dirty and being adventurous. Going to look this book up. Hope you have a wonderful day!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though you across the ocean, and ages apart, we certainly share many similarities. I could be tough and adventurous, still can, but now, I, too really love dresses. The book is a very easy read, but enjoyable. xoxo

      Delete
  2. Growing up with 6 brothers wouldn't have anything to do with it???
    Sometimes when looking at any ol'tree, I can feel the feeling of climbing it, like a monkey, clear to the top...Remember???
    AAAhhhhhh, such a good memory...
    Nay, I say, you are one beautiful tomboy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tree climbing was the essence of adventure for city kids. Ha! : ) And, many good memories for every other adventure we sought after to calm our imagination. xo

      Delete
  3. Shelly....l think women are often a mix of contradictions... it just depends on our situation....l think that's because we're expected to take on many different roles in our lives....so then, whatever the world throws at us, we're able to adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bron, I agree. We women have more roles than one can keep up. But, we women are like chameleons, we adapt and adapt and adapt. And, it's done most time without a complaint or a second thought. We just keep rolling! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I too was a tomboy growing up with 3 brothers and 2 boy cousins. We were always playing in the dirt, riding skateboards, dirtbikes (I have the scars to prove it), hiking in the canyons of AZ catching scorpions or rattlesnakes. I see my littlest girl (Kaylyn) following the same path having the two older brothers around. They are always wrestling around, jumping in the puddles, and she follows right along. Although I know it has nothing to do with clothing per se, I still would rather be dressed in a nice pair of slacks, nice shirt than a dress. Just much more comfortable. Have a great week Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOu sound wonderfully adventurous!!! And, now your little girl is just as adventurous! How adorable! You have a great week too, Jenn!

      Delete
  5. Hi Shelly,
    Even though I'm more of a 'glamper' than a camper these days I definitely understand. Love the ability to be rough and tumble (dig in the dirt with the garden) and clean up well for dinner. As you said, we women are chameleons. Love it! Thanks for sharing. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are chameleons, aren't we, Heather? I love the diversity. :)

      Delete